Apply for an Operator's Licence
It is a criminal offence to operate a Private Hire Vehicle within West Suffolk without having a Private Hire Vehicle Operator's Licence. The council can grant Private Hire Vehicle Operators' Licenses for a five year period meeting certain conditions and criteria. The operator must be safe and suitable and always fit the criteria set by the councils.
An operator will be expected to maintain a bookings log available for inspection by the council or Police. You should also retain all licenses issued by the council for drivers and vehicles you use as these may also need to be inspected.
Private hire vehicles may only be pre-booked, and may not be hailed in the street or ply for hire. Fares for the hire of private hire vehicles are not regulated by the councils, and must be the subject of agreement between passenger and driver before a journey commences. Such vehicles may only be driven by the holder of a private hire driver's licence issued by West Suffolk Council.
To apply for an Operator's Licence, please complete the application form then read the documents below:
- Taxi and private hire fees
- West Suffolk Council Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Conditions Policy Handbook
- Private hire operator licence application - part A (PDF)
- Private hire operator licence application - part A (Word)
- Private hire operator licence application - part B (PDF)
- Private hire operator licence application - part B (Word)
Does tacit authorisation apply?
No, this is because it is in the public interest that your application is fully processed before a licence is granted.