Annual electoral registration canvass

The electoral register is updated every year to ensure that all electors are able to vote in any forthcoming elections or referendums.

‘Thank you to the 73% of households who have replied to the enquiry forms and reminders we sent to all households, asking about people registered to vote. Because it is a statutory duty to register to vote, we are now asking people called canvassers to call at the households who have not responded. If you have your form to hand, please complete and return it without waiting for a canvasser to call. If you have misplaced your form or you have a query about filling it in, please call us on 01638 719366 or 01284 757131, or email us The notes below may also help.’

On the inside of the form are the names of the people who are currently registered to vote at your address. If the form is blank this means that no one is registered.

Please remember – if you are not registered to vote you cannot take part in any elections or referendums.

How to respond

Go to and enter part 1 and part 2 of your security code (printed on your form).

You can also complete the form and post it back to us in the envelope provided (postage is free). Please do not return the form if you have used the online response method.

Please do not forget to include anyone who is 16, 17 or 18. By responding to the form this gives us information about who is entitled to be registered at your property. Please remember that even if you add someone’s details to the form they will also need to register themselves at before they can appear on the register. If you do not have access to the internet we will post a registration form to each person added to the form.

Personal visits by canvassers

Canvassers will be visiting properties that haven’t yet responded to the canvass form from 11 September to 16 October 2017. The canvassers will be using an electronic device to collect information which will be kept secure. This device will synchronise with our Electoral Register so the details are always up to date.

For anyone that needs to be added to the register, the canvasser will also be able to collect the date of birth and National Insurance number. Because this is done electronically, it means that the elector’s information will be secure and will be verified more quickly without the need to send out further forms.

Frequently asked questions

Can I confirm my details online?

Yes – you can confirm and change details online, including adding new names and deleting old names. Go to

You will need the security code printed on the front page of your form and follow the instructions given.

I have recently registered do I still need to complete this form?

Yes – as this will confirm that your details haven’t changed to enable to you to be included on the new register published on 1 December.

The form sent to my address has the names of people who do not live here, what do I do?

All forms contain the pre-printed details of electors who are currently registered at that address. If the people listed on the form no longer live there, you can update this information online or you can amend the form and return it to us.

I will be moving house soon, what should I do?

If you are moving house, and the property will be empty for a while, please cross out all the names printed, sign the form and return it to us.

However, if there will be new people living in the property then please do not return the form.  Instead cross your names out and leave the form for the new occupiers to complete.  A form should be waiting for you at your new property but if not, contact your local Electoral Services Office for one to be sent to you. You can get their contact details from

No-one in our house is eligible to register.  Do I still need to send the form back?

Yes – if there is no one eligible to be registered at your address then please state this on form and sign the declaration.  If you are unsure as to whether you qualify to register, please contact our helpline.

I have recently changed my name – what do I do?

If your name has changed, please amend your name when responding online or on the form provided. You will then be sent a change of name form and you will need to provide your previous and new name and the date of the change. You will also need to provide evidence to support the change of name, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll certificate.