Trees in a conservation area

If you are planning any works to a tree in a conservation area you need to give the council six weeks notice. You need to let us know in writing. We need to know what species of tree it is, where it is and what type of work is to be done. There is no charge to apply.

You can check if trees are located within a conservation area here.

Tree Preservation Orders (TPO)

Some trees are protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). If you are planning any works to a tree with a TPO you need permission from the council. Carrying out work without permission when you need it, is against the law and could lead to prosecution. There is no charge to apply.

To apply to carry out work on a tree with a TPO:

Trees on highways

Overgrown trees on the highways are managed by Suffolk County Council. You can use their highway maintenance form to report any problems. Trees on major trunk roads are managed by the Highways England, contact them on 0300 1235000 to report problems.

Trees on council land

You can find out more about what we can and cannot help with from our frequently asked questions guide on our tree and grounds maintenance page.

If you are concerned about any trees on West Suffolk Council owned land and if it is something we can help with, let us know. You can complete our grounds maintenance enquiry form to do this or contact our Parks and Open Spaces team on 01284 757088. This form can be used for trees across West Suffolk.