Street Vending or Pavement Cafe Permit

Pavement cafes are considered to be tables and chairs placed on the public highway, where food and drink are consumed. Under the currently agreed policy, street vending can only take place in Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill town centres.

For details of terms and conditions see: West Suffolk Council Street Trading and Vending Policy p12

If you want to put tables and chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement, you may need permission. You will need a street vending permit from the local licensing authority if you want to provide tables and chairs in order to:

  • make money (for example providing furniture outside a café)
  • provide a centre for advice or information
  • advertise your business or enterprise



You need to apply to the licensing authority that covers the area you want to street vend from.

The public have 28 days in which to make comments about your request. The licensing authority will consider any concerns raised.

Does tacit authorisation apply?

Yes,you should expect a decision within 56 days from the day the licensing authority receives your request.

How would you rate our website?
Page rating 1 star Page rating 2 star Page rating 3 star Page rating 4 star Page rating 5 star