Driver's licence application (hackney carriage and private hire)
West Suffolk Council issues a combined hackney carriage and private hire driver's licence, which enables you to drive either type of vehicle.
You must have your badge with you at all times when working as a hackney carriage or private hire driver.
If you are working for an operator, you must provide them with a copy of your licence.
If you move house, or receive a criminal conviction, caution or motoring endorsement during the period of your licence, you must tell us.
We will send you a reminder to renew your licence towards the end of the license period. Renewal applications must be received before your licence expires to ensure your right to continue working.
A Disclosure and Baring Service Certificate is required and can be obtained from the GB Group - Online disclosures, please read the relevant guidance notes below for registration details.
All new drivers will need to complete a Level 2 Certificate in the Introduction to the Role of Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver (or equivalent) To book the course, please visit the West Suffolk College website
Drivers will also be required to undertake a driving theory assessment with the council before applying. Please refer to our new guidance notes for step by step instructions on how to apply and documents required.
To apply for either a licence, please read and complete the following documents:
- Licensed driver application process - guidance notes
- Hackney carriage and private hire driver licence application (PDF)
- Hackney carriage and private hire driver licence application (Word)
- DBS Update Service permission form (PDF)
- DBS Update Service permission form (Word)
- D4 Medical form
- DVLA Validation check code
- Licence change of details form (PDF)
- Licence change of details form (Word)