Riding establishment licence

If you hire out horses or ponies for riding or lessons then you will need a licence. This is to ensure that animal welfare standards and health and safety regulations are met. When a new or renewal application is made, a vet will make an inspection. The fees for this inspection will be recharged to the applicant.


A riding establishment licence from Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council is £280.


You will need a licence from the licensing authority that your business is in. If you do not know who that is, visit: Gov.UK, find your local council

In west Suffolk there are two licensing authorities, Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council.

Riding establishment application form


There are certain conditions that need to be met if a licence is to be issued.

Horse Riding Establishment conditions

How long is my licence valid for?
A licence is valid for 12 months.

Does tacit authorisation apply?
No, because it is in the interest of public safety that your request is fully processed before a decision is made.