Street trading

West Suffolk Interim Street Trading and Street Vending PolicyWest Suffolk Interim Street Trading and Street Vending Policy

We are seeking feedback on a new policy document that sets out the rules and guidelines for street trading (selling goods on the street) and vending (serving at tables and chairs on the public highway) in West Suffolk.


From 1 April 2019, a new West Suffolk Council will be created that will replace Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council. It is proposed to align the requirements for information to be produced before a permit can be issued, and the requirement to state the location of a trader on the permit itself.


We welcome views on the draft interim West Suffolk Street Trading and Vending Policy, especially from street traders and vendors by 5pm on 19 November.

Street trading is the selling of goods on any street, road or path that the public can access without payment. If you wish to street trade you will need permission from the licensing authority. The licensing authority is usually the council where you want to trade. If you do not know who that it, visit Gov.UK, find your local council A street trader is not the same as a pedlar. You will need a pedlar's licence to trade as one. For more information and how to apply for a pedlar's licence, visit: Ask the Police, Q239: What is a Pedlar Certificate and how do I get one?

In West Suffolk there are no 'licensed streets,' instead streets are divided into consent streets or prohibited streets. So instead of a street trading licence you will need street trading consent. You can only street trade from consent streets. There are two types of consents –type A and B. They differ in trading conditions and cost.

There are two licensing authorities in West Suffolk, Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council. To find out more about regulations in each authority area and to apply, click on the relevant licensing authority shown below: