Please view our Hackney carriage and private hire COVID-19 update
If you want to run a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle business, you will need to apply for the appropriate licence from the licensing authority you wish to operate in. If you do not know who that is, visit Gov.UK, find your local council Separate licences will be required for vehicles, drivers and operating companies.
The purpose of licensing is to ensure the safety of the public, by checking that the drivers are fit and proper, and that the vehicles they drive are safe, suitable and reliable.
If you are renewing your vehicle licence and looking to upgrade your existing licensed vehicle to electric, you may be eligible to a grant. Please read this leaflet Business Energy Efficiency Anglia (BEE Anglia) to see if you meet the criteria.
Find out more:
- To apply for a driver's licence
- To apply for a Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- To apply for a Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- To apply for an Operator's Licence
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Newsletter
Driver's Forum minutes
- Taxi Drivers' Forum minutes 30 October 2019
- These documents formed part of a committee report (item 11) for Licensing and Regulatory Committee - Monday 27 January