|Introduction||Get in - Become an apprentice||Get on - Success stories||Information for parents||What we do|
What we do
Far from any preconceptions you may have, West Suffolk councils are an innovative place to work. We offer you high skills levels and a range of career opportunities.
What we provide are healthy, safe and vibrant places to live and work. No other employer plays such a pivotal role in the community. That's a great responsibility but also fantastically rewarding and something that really does make a difference.
Our services include:
- Environmental Health - including environmental management and protection, dealing with energy, pollution, nuisance and registration and inspection of food establishments
- Housing - providing decent homes for our communities through building and adapting, the housing register and homelessness prevention
- Planning - working with our communities to plan where jobs and homes will go, deciding planning applications, and providing building control, design and conservation services
- Economic Development and Growth - attracting jobs and infrastructure funding to West Suffolk, developing skills needed in the workforce and ensuring the health of our high streets and market towns
- Families and Communities - working with communities to achieve their aspirations through things like funding, arts and sports development
- Leisure and Heritage Management - with our fantastic parks and natural leisure spaces, museums, heritage centres, and the Apex venue
- Environmental Services - collecting and recycling waste, cleaning our streets, and landscaping and maintaining public spaces
- Elections - our democratic nature is what makes us different, and we organise and run all the elections in West Suffolk. We also make sure that everyone eligible is able to vote through electoral registration
- Licensing - helps to control the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, late night refreshment, gambling, taxi and private hire services, small lotteries, charitable collections and much more
A core of key support services helps the teams above to do their jobs, and includes Human Resources, Finance, Legal, ICT and Property Services.