Be winter ready
Steps you can take to ‘Be winter ready’
- Know your free electricity and gas emergency numbers: In a power cut phone 105 or, for a gas emergency, phone 0800 111999
- prepare your home: Keep a torch handy and get your appliances serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Prepare for any power cuts
- register as a vulnerable customer: Vulnerable households can get extra support by signing up to the Priority Services Register. Find out more about the Priority Services Register
- keep your eyes open: Keep an eye on the weather forecast and, if you have a power cut or a gas emergency, check on your neighbours. Visit www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk for the latest updates
- allow extra time to travel if the weather is bad: Driving safely and being prepared in Snow (BBC)
- Get ready for winter (Met Office)
- stay well this winter by following advice from - NHS Winter health
- being energy efficient can save you money and help the environment - visit our Home energy efficiency page to find out more.
Warnings, alerts and news updates
- BBC Radio Suffolk Tweets
- UK weather warnings (Met Office)
- Cold weather alert (Met Office) (1 November to 31 March)
- Flood alerts and warnings (Environment Agency)
- Flooding information and advice
- Highways - salting, gritting and snow clearing (Suffolk County Council)
- Suffolk school closures (Suffolk County Council)
- What to do in an emergency or major incident (Suffolk Resilience)
Want to get fit or try something new?
Take up a new sport at one of our Leisure centres
Exercise more - from walking the dog, spotting the wildlife in one of our parks or open spaces to taking part in the ParcRun on Saturday mornings at Nowton park! We will also be having some outdoor survival sessions at Nowton Park at the beginning of the year that you can book on through What's On West Suffolk
West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village and Country Park will be offering archery from April onwards.
Try Yoga, postnatal Yoga or Tai Chi, or join in the dancing on Strictly Saturdays at The Apex. There are also harmonica lessons once a month if people want to learn something new, along with the occasional sketch lounge for people wanting to draw.
Become a volunteer at Moyse's Hall Museum or volunteer at West Stow Anglo-Saxon village or join one of our parks Friends groups.
Sign up to What's On West Suffolk email list to be sent details of what's coming up.