COVID-19 Changes to services
West Suffolk Council is prioritising essential services:
Bins and waste
Safe disposal of your waste
- If you have symptoms or are self-isolating, please bag any wipes and tissues separately, and keep to one side for 72 hours before putting in your black bin.
- Please wipe your bin handles when you put the bin out and bring it in.
- PPE and wipes are not recyclable.
- COVID-19 - waste disposal advice
- Tips for reducing waste
- Suffolk recycling centres are open. You must book a time slot online to deposit waste at your local recycling centre. Please do not go to a recycling centre without a booking.
- Community recycling points - remain open. See Recycling and recycling centres.
- Building Control service change - changes to inspections.
- Parking controls are reinstated.
- Residential permit holders in Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill allowed to park in nearby West Suffolk Council car parks at no extra charge during national lockdown restrictions, plus arrangements for residents in Newmarket.
- Leisure centres are closed. For more information visit Abbeycroft leisure
- West Suffolk Markets are open to sell essential goods only.
- Several market traders continue to offer delivery services visit our West Suffolk markets website.
Moyse's Hall Museum and West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village
- Moyes's Hall Museum is closed.
- West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village, museum, visitor centre and shop are closed.
- Abbey Gardens, Brandon Country Park, East Town Park, Nowton Park and West Stow Country Park are open daily for exercise. The toilet facilities at each of these sites are open and takeaway refreshments are available in the Abbey Gardens (Wednesday to Sunday) and Nowton Park only.
- The 200 play areas maintained by West Suffolk Council are all open.
- Abbey Gardens tennis courts are open.
- Outdoor gyms at East Town Park and Moreton Hall are open.
- Skateparks are open.
- Follow the latest guidance on what you can and cannot do:
- Shopmobility in Bury St Edmunds is open.
- Shopmobility in Newmarket and Haverhill is closed.
- Public access to West Suffolk Council buildings is closed but services are still being delivered. All council services are available online or by contacting us.
- The Apex café is offering take away service with outdoor seating. The Tourist Information Centre and box office are open. See Apex updates for details of cancelled and postponed events.
- Leisure centre gyms are open and swimming pools can be used for lane swimming and training. For more information visit Abbeycroft leisure
Read our recent press releases in Latest news