Councillors' conduct

Everyone expects good standards of behaviour from those they elect to represent them. To support that, West Suffolk Council and all towns and parishes have adopted a code of conduct to govern the way we expect councillors to behave.

West Suffolk Council is responsible for upholding high standards of governance within its area, and considering complaints against that individual district, town and parish councillors have breached the council's code of conduct.

Most complaints are considered and dealt with by the council's Monitoring Officer. However, more serious matters may be referred to the Standards Committee. The Standards Committee is appointed to:

  • promote and maintain high standards of conduct by councillors and co-opted members
  • assist councillors and co-opted members to observe the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • advise the councils on the adoption and revision of the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • monitor the operation of the Councillors' Code of Conduct
  • advise, train or arrange to train councillors and co-opted members on matters relating to the Councillors' Code of Conduct.

Please be aware that West Suffolk Council cannot deal with complaints about the actions or decisions of a parish or town council as a whole, or a parish or town clerk. All such complaints need to be referred to the relevant parish or town council.

Further, West Suffolk Council can only consider complaints when councillors are deemed to be 'acting in capacity' as a councillor - we cannot deal with more general complaints about the private lives of councillors.

Making a complaint about a councillor

You can make a complaint about a councillor if you believe they have broken any part of the code of conduct, this could be:

  • failing to treat people with respect
  • causing the local authority to breach equality laws
  • revealing information that was given to them in confidence
  • stopping someone getting information they are entitled to by law
  • damaging the reputation of their office or authority
  • using their position improperly, to their own or someone else's advantage or disadvantage
  • misusing the authority's resources
  • allowing the authority's resources to be misused for the activities of a registered political party
  • failing to reveal an interest at a meeting
  • compromising the impartiality of officers
  • taking part in a meeting or making a decision where the member has an interest

All complaints will need to be in writing. However, if you request that your details remain confidential, this will be considered. We do not accept anonymous complaints. All complaints should be addressed to the Monitoring Officer. We have prepared an online code of conduct complaints form that you can complete if you want to make a complaint. You must state within your complaint which part of the code of conduct you believe they have breached.

What will happen to my complaint?

Your complaint will be considered by the Monitoring Officer in line with the Council's procedures.  The Monitoring Officer will supply you with a copy when responding to your complaint, or you can access them by clicking the Standards Procedures (PDF).

What can be done about complaint?

In most cases, complaints can be readily resolved by discussion between those affected, or sometimes by way of apology. In more complex cases, we may consider options such as mediation to resolve disputes between people.

We can also suggest training, where there is a clear gap in knowledge/groups, or suggest changes to appointments, issue a written notice, or a public notice regarding any incidents. However, we cannot suspend or remove councillors - councillors are elected by their electors and are, in effect, accountable to the ballot box.

How would you rate our website?
Page rating 1 star Page rating 2 star Page rating 3 star Page rating 4 star Page rating 5 star