If you are suffering from poor air quality as a result of dust, odour or smoke from a neighbour, we may be able to help you. We can intervene if the problem is considered to be a statutory nuisance, if this is the case the problem would need to be persistent and preventing you from enjoying your home or garden on a regular basis.
Councils are required to carry out air quality testing and identify any areas that are particularly high in pollutants - in West Suffolk this is primarily Nitrous Oxide (NOx) which comes from vehicle emissions. Any identified areas are known as 'air quality management areas' these are monitored and regularly assessed with an action plan put in place to try and minimise pollution. View the latest air quality assessment reports for West Suffolk:
- Forest Heath District air quality assessment 2016
- St Edmundsbury Borough air quality assessment 2016
On the 26 July 2017, the Government announced its proposal to ban all new diesel and petrol cars by 2040, tackling air quality and greenhouse gas emissions.
Instead of being powered by petrol or diesel and releasing harmful pollutants, pure electric vehicles produce no emissions (at point of use). Although they have a higher purchase cost, they are much cheaper to run - costing on average 7p less per mile to run than a petrol or diesel equivalent.
Electric vehicle event 23 August 2017
- Drive the future of transport - West Suffolk electric vehicle event leaflet
- Electric vehicle event press release
Charging can take place at home or at charge points located around the country including places of work and along road networks. To check the charge point facilities in your local area visit Zap Map
What the council is doing
- Working in collaboration with other districts across Norfolk and Suffolk to create a reliable network of rapid chargers along the main road networks.
- West Suffolk councils are actively applying for Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) funding to finance on-street charge points including investigating installing a rapid charger in Newmarket for local residents and business.
- Hosting an annual electric vehicle promotion event to increase local adoption of electric vehicles.
- Providing financial support to small and medium enterprises to purchase electric vehicles.
To suggest your street as an area that would benefit from an on-street charge point complete our online form: