Empty homes grant
What is it?
The purpose of this grant is to fund the return of empty residential properties back into use.
Who can apply?
Owners of property that is currently empty and has been empty for more than 12 months.
How much could I get?
The maximum level of grant available is £20,000.
Qualifying works are where works of repair and improvement (in the opinion of the council awarding the grant) are necessary to:
- remove Category 1 hazards (as assessed under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System)
- ensure that the property is in a reasonable state of repair
- provide reasonably modern facilities and services (in accordance with the Decent Homes Standard)
- provide a reasonable degree of thermal comfort.
Are there any conditions?
Once work is complete, the property must be let as residential accommodation, or must be occupied by the owner as their main or only residence.
Where central heating is provided or boilers are repaired or replaced, it is a condition that draught-proofing, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation is installed to the council’s minimum recommended standard.
The grant will be registered as a charge on the property. Repayment of the full grant will be made:
- if the property is sold or transferred
- on breach of the condition to let or occupy the property or
- the property becomes vacant without being let or occupied for a period of more than three months
How do I apply?
Use the Empty homes grant online enquiry form for more information and how to apply.