Looking for a home
We offer a range of solutions and advice if you’d like to stay in your current home.
If you are in immediate risk of becoming homeless, see our homelessness section.
If you want to purchase a home of your own, but can’t afford to buy on the open market, Help to Buy could be your way onto the property ladder.
Staying in your current home
We believe everyone should have the opportunity to live in a decent affordable home.
If you choose to say in your current home, we can help you resolve issues such as:
- Finding private rented accommodation
- Help with empty properties
- Energy efficiency and disrepair for owners
- Mortgage problems (GOV.UK)
- Information for homeowners - Are you worried about your mortgage? (NHAS)
- Benefits and support
Financial support for people renting
We provide advice and financial assistance to local tenants who rent social or private sector housing.
We can help in the following ways:
- We manage the Discretionary Housing Payment fund (DHP), which is used to help tenants with housing costs.
- We provide advice and assistance to those affected by welfare reforms, such as the Social Sector Size criteria (known as Bedroom Tax), Benefit Cap, Local Housing Allowance reforms, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
- We help with budgeting and finding alternative solutions to housing needs (for example, providing a deposit so that you can move into a more affordable property).
- If you are at risk of eviction and struggling to maintain your tenancy, you can self refer to the local Floating Support Team called Home Group who are able to offer advice and support to help you remain in your home. For further information and to complete an online application form please visit Suffolk County Council - Apply for housing related support.
- An additional resource for dealing with outstanding debts is the government helpline which can be found at:
We advise and assist tenants at risk of losing their homes or worried about their current housing situation.
If you need more information please contact us.