West Suffolk Leisure Investment Fund
One of West Suffolk Council’s three priorities is for resilient families and communities that are healthy and active.
The council owns leisure centres in Brandon, Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill, Mildenhall and Newmarket which are run on its behalf by not for profit social enterprise Abbeycroft Leisure in return for a management fee.
In November 2016, the former Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury councils approved the development of a Leisure Investment Fund with the aim to provide capital, to invest in leisure facilities to reduce the management fee provided to Abbeycroft Leisure to zero. The councils specifically agreed the creation of a strategic investment fund of £5m from the strategic priorities and medium term finance strategy reserve, across West Suffolk, (£3.5m Forest Heath District Council and £1.5m St Edmundsbury Borough Council). St Edmundsbury also agreed £177,581 for the 3G pitch and £240,000 for equipment at the new facilities at Skyliner Sports Centre on Moreton Hall in Bury St Edmunds.
Forest Heath District Council:
- CAB/FH/16/049 - Investing in our Leisure Provision in West Suffolk and Establishing a Long Term Strategic Partnership Approach and Reduced Management Fee with Abbeycroft Leisure
St Edmundsbury Borough Council:
- Report CAB/SE/16/055 - Investing in our Leisure Provision in West Suffolk and Establishing a Long Term Strategic Partnership Approach and Reduced Management Fee with Abbeycroft Leisure
- Report Amended CAB/SE/16/055 - Investing in our Leisure Provision in West Suffolk and Establishing a Long Term Strategic Partnership Approach and Reduced Management Fee with Abbeycroft Leisure
December 2016 full Council approved investment framework and Skyliner investment:
- Forest Heath District Council - full Council 21 December 2016
- St Edmundsbury Borough Council 20 December 2016
In April 2017 a new partnership agreement with Abbeycroft Leisure was approved, scheduling the reduction in management fees
- Forest Health District Council - 4 April 2017 Report CAB/FH/17/017 - Development of a new Partnership Agreement with Abbeycroft Leisure
- St Edmundsbury Borough Council - 25 April 2017 Report CAB/SE/17/019 - Development of a new Partnership Agreement with Abbeycroft Leisure
In March 2018 1.5m investment in Haverhill Leisure Centre was approved:
- Report CAB/SE/18/024 - Haverhill Leisure Centre Investment
- £1.5m investment agreed for Haverhill’s leisure facilities- press release 28 March 2018
In July 2019 £1.8m investment in Newmarket Leisure Centre was approved
- Report CAB/WS/19/015 - Newmarket Leisure Centre Investment
- £1.8m investment confirmed for Newmarket Leisure Centre - press release 24 July 2019
In February 2020 £99,000 cost certainty work was approved for progressing the upgrade for Brandon Leisure Centre
- Report CAB/WS/20/016 - Brandon Leisure Centre Investment Funding for Cost Certainty
- Upgrade for Brandon Leisure Centre - press release 10 February 2020