Single council for West Suffolk
A new district-level council for the West Suffolk area was created on 1 April 2019.
Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council had been sharing their services, staff and management for many years and jointly delivered their services under the widely recognised West Suffolk councils brand.
The West Suffolk Council entirely replaced Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury and has allowed us to:
- deliver services that are vital for our communities and businesses while at the same time driving forward an ambitious vision of growth, jobs and economic prosperity for our unique area
- future-proof for the next decade and beyond - to ensure a firm financial base and stability to meet the challenges faced by our communities such as improving health, the need for more homes and reduced national funding
- consolidate the savings and efficiencies we have made and make even more that can be reinvested to work with and benefit our communities.
The council is the right size to deliver local and tailored solutions but also have a large and unified voice to champion the aspirations of our communities nationally and to attract new businesses.
In addition the move to a single council for West Suffolk has delivered savings and efficiencies totalling around £800,000 every year.
- Map of the west Suffolk area
- Updated business case - September 2017
- ComRes - independent survey of residents report - August 2017
- Summary - A new single council for west Suffolk
- West Suffolk options
- Equalities Impact Assessment
- Press releases
- New West Suffolk Council gets seal of approval from Parliament - press release 25 May 2018
- Councils send all options to shape new West Suffolk Council wards - press release 26 April 2018
- Role of civic leadership in new council one of the first priorities - press release 25 April 2018
- Councils set to discuss shape of new West Suffolk Council wards - press release 19 April 2018
- Have your say on shaping new West Suffolk Council wards - press release 7 March 2018
- Historic moment as new West Suffolk Council goes to parliament - press release 28 February 2018
- Minister backs new West Suffolk Council - press release 8 February 2018
- Councils, groups and public help shape new West Suffolk Council wards - press release 15 January 2018
- Secretary of State ‘minded’ to back new West Suffolk Council - press release 30 November 2017
- New plans for a single West Suffolk Council backed - press release 28 September 2017
- New plans for a single West Suffolk Council backed - press release 27 September 2017
- New plans for a West Suffolk Council backed in St Edmundsbury - press release 27 September 2017
- New plans for a West Suffolk Council has local support - press release 19 September 2017
- Councils agree major step forward for west Suffolk future - press release 14 June 2017
- Council agrees next steps for west Suffolk future - press release 13 June 2017
- Joint Cabinet agree next steps for west Suffolk future - press release 30 May 2017
- Leaders call to look at ambitious plans for future of west Suffolk - press release 9 May 2017