Garden waste collection information

Using the Garden Waste Collection Service

The Garden Waste Collection Service is a convenient way for all residents in West Suffolk to dispose of their garden waste. For new subscribers/card payer renewals, you need to subscribe to this service at least two working days before your collection is due to give us time to process your application. You can have up to four garden waste bin subscriptions for each property.

In order for your bin to be collected, you need to:

  • Ensure your bin has your house name or number clearly displayed on it.
  • Ensure your bin is at its usual collection point by 6.15am on your collection day. This is the same location as your black and blue bins are collected from. 
  • Ensure you tell us if you move house, so we can start collections at your new property.

When you have signed up, we will send you a receipt and service confirmation separately by email. Please make sure you read the Garden Waste Collection Service Terms and conditions and Privacy Notice 2024-25

In some areas, garden waste is collected on a different day to your other waste - Check when your bins are emptied by using our find my nearest service

What can I put in my garden waste bin?

  • dead plants and flowers
  • grass, leaves and weeds
  • hedge clippings
  • prunings and twigs
  • clean sawdust (not containing pet waste)
  • small branches (not more than 6cm thick)
  • vegetable waste from the garden (not kitchen waste)

Don't forget that you can also take your garden waste to Suffolk County Council's Recycling centres for recycling, free of charge.

What can't I put in my garden waste bin?

  • bagged waste
  • cardboard, newspaper, shredded paper
  • invasive weeds such as Japanese Knotweed
  • kitchen waste, food and plate scrapings - Food Savvy - information on recycling your food waste
  • soil, stones or rubble
  • pet or animal waste and bedding
  • sawdust contaminated with pet waste
  • plastic flower pots, trays or bags
  • tea bags and coffee grounds
  • treated wood

Find out about Home composting

What happens if I put the wrong waste in the bin?

Bins that are contaminated (that is, they contain incorrect materials) will not be collected. The council will advise you of the problem. If bins are contaminated it is your responsibility to remove the contamination from the bin prior to their next scheduled collection. No extra collections will be offered.

What happens if we do not empty your bin?

There may be times when we are unable to empty your bin. If this happens the collection crew will place a sticker on your bin to indicate why it has not been emptied. You will be required to resolve the problem so that we can empty your bin on your next collection day. For more information visit My bin hasn't been emptied.

Please note, in accordance with our terms and conditions we do not offer any refunds or compensation.

Your garden waste bin will not be emptied if you do not have a subscription to the 2024-25 year of service.

What can I do with shredded paper, cardboard and food or kitchen waste?

  • shredded paper can be placed in an envelope or paper bag and recycled in a paper bank - Find my nearest
  • shredded paper - only shred what you need to shred, that is, sensitive documents
  • shredded paper can be home composted
  • cardboard - this can go in your blue recycling bin
  • food and kitchen waste - for information and advice:

Renewing your annual subscription

  • If you sign up by direct debit you will not have to renew your subscription next year, we will contact you in advance to let you know when your annual payment will be taken. If you need to alter your bank details, please use our Change to existing Direct Debit form.
  • If you sign up by credit or debit card we will contact you to remind you when your service is due to be renewed.
  • If you pay by card and not via Direct Debit, payment of the annual fee is required by 27 May 2024 in order for the service to continue for the 2024-2025 subscription year. If payment is not received by the due date we will assume that you no longer require the service and your bin will not be emptied.

Moving house

If you are moving house within the West Suffolk district, please call our customer services team on 01284 776119 so we can start collections at your new property. You can take your brown bin with you.

If you are moving out of the West Suffolk district, please complete the Garden Waste Subscription Cancellation form and email it to

Cancelling the service

No refunds or part refunds will be given if the service is no longer required. For further information see Garden Waste Collection Service Terms and conditions and Privacy Notice information 2024-2025

How would you rate our website?
Page rating 1 star Page rating 2 star Page rating 3 star Page rating 4 star Page rating 5 star