Coronavirus (COVID-19) - West Suffolk general provisions markets
Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket, Haverhill, Mildenhall, Brandon and Clare markets are closed until further notice
The council has tried to keep the markets running as long as possible under Government guidelines to enable people to get essential food shopping with users and traders following social spacing. But operationally it can no longer be done as the numbers of traders and customers dwindle and the demands on staff due to the impact of COVID-19 rises.
Therefore, for operational reasons, it is better to redeploy those market staff onto other vital COVID-19 work or the extra measures the Government has brought in to support communities and businesses.
West Suffolk Council is working with traders to minimise the impact on them and their customers.
West Suffolk has a rich tradition in markets, a legacy from medieval times. Listed below are local markets that take place every week.
- Brandon: every Thursday and Saturday 9am to 12.30pm
- Bury St Edmunds: every Wednesday and Saturday 8.30am to 4pm
- Clare: 3rd Saturday of the month 8.30am - 2.30pm
- Haverhill: every Friday and Saturday 8am to 4pm
- Mildenhall: every Friday 9am to 3pm
- Newmarket: every Tuesday and Saturday 9am to 3pm
If you are looking for information about setting up a market stall, visit our market trading page.
For more information on the Christmas market visit: Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre