Local planning authorities have to produce a Local Plan, which sets the long term planning and land use policies within the area.
To address future planning requirements it is necessary to undertake the following:
- engage and consult with residents and statutory bodies
- follow the guidelines of national policy
This enables us to plan to deliver appropriate levels of homes, jobs, community and transport facilities, while protecting and enhancing the environment and character of the area, in order to provide an acceptable and sustainable quality of life for local residents.
In addition to local plans, supplementary planning documents (SPDs) and guidance are prepared to guide development. These include SPDs, masterplans, concept statements and development briefs.
Background policy evidence can be found alongside the relevant local plan which underpins the work of the strategic planning policy team. Supporting information, including statement of community involvement, local development scheme and authority monitoring report (AMR) and fiver year housing land supply sets out how the community will be consulted, the timeline for plan preparation and monitoring which is undertaken.
A register of brownfield land, identified previously developed sites in the area that the council has assessed as being suitable for housing.
Guidance to support a community's preparation of a neighbourhood plan and neighbourhood development order is also available.
Section 106 and the community infrastructure levy (CIL) are mechanisms to ensure the appropriate infrastructure is provided as part of any application for development.
Please note - we cannot always guarantee that documents produced by external organisations, and published on our websites, are fully accessible. If you need a particular document in an accessible format please contact us.
- Local plans West Suffolk Local Plan review and former Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury area local plan documents
- Supporting information Local Development Scheme (LDS), Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) and Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) and five year land supply
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) and guidance Including concept statements, development briefs and masterplans, management plans, technical guidance notes and guides
- Neighbourhood planning
- Brownfield Register
- Section 106 and the community infrastructure levy (CIL)