Privacy notice for lost or found dogs

Housing Standards (Public Health and Housing) is a service of Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury councils, working together as West Suffolk. This privacy notice explains how we use any personal information we ask you for when reporting a lost or found dog.

What information do you collect about me?

We will collect personal information about you as the owner or finder of a lost or stray dog.

Why do you collect this personal information and how do you use it?

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 we require the information for the lost or stray dog process. The information you provide will only be used for these purposes and we will only contact you should we require further information about your application. All of your information will be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and will only be used by us and our partner providing the dog kenneling service to deliver or improve this service. We will not disclose any personal information to any other third parties unless required to do so by law. For more information on how this is done visit: How we use your information

General Data Protection Regulation

Any personal information we capture about you is processed under the terms of GDPR and the councils’ Data Protection Policy which can be found at: Data Protection Policy

Can I access the information you hold about me?

Under GDPR you can ask for access to information we hold about you. This is called a data subject access request; you will need to request this information in writing. To help you in this process please complete the online Data Subject Access Request form. You will be required to provide proof of identity in person. We must respond to you within one month – if we feel the request is complex we may ask for an extension of this period.

If the information we provide is incorrect you must write to us and tell us what information is incorrect and ask that it be corrected. If we do not agree that the information is incorrect you may ask us to record your disagreement – more information on your rights under GDPR can be found at: Data Protection Policy

If you wish to complain about the way in which your request has been processed then your complaint will be dealt with as a Step Two complaint in accordance with our complaints procedure

If, after an internal review, you are still unhappy with the decision, you have a right of appeal to the Information Commissioner, visit their page: Information Commissioner, report a concern

How can I contact you?

Please contact us if you have any questions about this privacy notice or information we hold about you by emailing: or write to us at: Data Protection, West Suffolk House, Western Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 3YU