Fuel energy and utilities
Support within West Suffolk
Update 6 March 2023 – Alternative Fuels Payment Alternative Funding, new Government scheme offering payments of £200 to households who use alternative fuels to the gas grid as their main source of heating and who haven’t received the payment automatically through their electricity supplier in February 2023. Find out more: Alternative Fuels Payment Alternative Funding
Update 27 February 2023 – Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding, new Government scheme offering payments of £400 to households who don’t directly pay their energy supplier. find out more: Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding
- The Government announced on 19 December 2022, that there will be a £200 payment for Great Britain households that use alternative fuels like heating oil. Most households eligible for the AFP support in Great Britain, will receive payment automatically through their electricity supplier in February, with no need to take any action.
- Winter Fuel Payment: If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. Payments are made automatically in November and December. For further support and advice see GOV.UK - Winter Fuel Payment
- Cold Weather Payment: This is paid for periods of very cold weather lasting seven days or more between 1 November and 31 March for people on specific eligible benefits. For further support and advice see GOV.UK - Cold Weather Payment
- The Warm Homes Suffolk programme helps Suffolk residents to make it cheaper to heat their homes through various energy efficiency measure
Housing association tenants
- Support for those not currently protected by the energy price cap (for example on communal heating system)
- Oil buying clubs in Suffolk could help reduce the amount you pay as group buying yields better deals. Search for your nearest at The Oil Club - Search
- AF Affinity the Community Action Group Suffolk oil buying services: In partnership with AF Affinity, Community Action Suffolk runs community oil buying scheme which means Suffolk residents can benefit from the bulk buying power or reduced oil prices. For more information and to register please visit AF Affinity - Register for community oil buying for Suffolk and Cambridge or telephone AF Affinity on 01603 881888, email enquires@AF-affinity.co.uk
- Assistance with purchasing oil in Suffolk, Eastern Savings and Loans: Oil buying loan, Eastern Savings and Loans can provide an interest free loan of up to £500 in order to buy oil payable over 12 months (repayment from £41pm) and supporting to help pay towards future oil purchases. For more information please visit Eastern Savings and Loans - Suffolk Oil Loans or telephone on 03336 000690.
- GOV.UK - Help with your energy bills has information on help that you could be entitled to which will help with energy bill payment
- Moneysaving expert - Cost of living crisis& has budgeting and debt help
- Anglian Water - Extra Care Support
- National Energy Action (NEA) - Get Help
- Energy Support - ECO4 Scheme - an ongoing government initiated scheme to support low-income households and to create more energy efficient homes. this includes free electric heater upgrades. Homeowners and private tenants (with their landlord's permission) can apply for a Government grant to have old, uneconomical room heaters replaced with electric storage heaters free of charge.
- British Gas Energy Trust
- Energy Saving Trust - How to save money on your energy bills
- EDF - Support for customers
- Connected for Warmth - Fully funded energy efficiency measures a grant scheme offering energy-saving measures to homes across Britain, that can help you reduce your energy use and stay warm and well.
- Some additional Energy saving tips:
- The Heating Hub - Save up to 8% in gas use, by turning down the 'flow' temperature
- the Heating Hub - How to turn OFF the pre-heat on your Worcester combi boiler to save 5-10%
- Check which of these energy saving tips provided by