Support for families
Easter Holiday Activities Programme
A free programme of holiday activities funded by the Government and coordinated by West Suffolk Council is being extended once again this Easter to other families in need.
There are free places at these events under the Government’s Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme. Eligibility for free places, set out by The Department for Education (DfE), is based on children and families who are on benefits related free school meals or pupil premium or where there is an identified need (such as being in care, bereavement, or if they are homeless).
But West Suffolk Council recognises that there will be other families in financial hardship who are ineligible. It is allowed to use up to 15 per cent of its share of the Government funding to offer free places to families who are in financial hardship but who wouldn’t otherwise qualify.
For more details see our Suffolk Holiday Activities webpage.
If you’re on a low income, you might be able to get help with some of the costs of sending your child to school:
- many schools offer support to families who need financial assistance with uniforms, for example by giving you vouchers towards the cost.
- it's also worth checking if your school has any second-hand uniform sales – this can be a good way to pick up lower-priced uniform at a fraction of the retail cost.
- is your child eligible for free school meals? Check through Suffolk County Council - Apply for free school meals
Further support in West Suffolk
- Home Start in Suffolk is ready to support families through their toughest times. Phone 01473 621104 email: email@example.com
- Families Together Suffolk: Offering support to families across Suffolk with 121 family support, group work and early intervention. For more details visit: Families Together Suffolk
- Finance and debt
- Visit the Government’s Childcare Choices website to find out how you can save money on your childcare. Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get support.
- Government support with childcare: Help for Households - Family support