Alcohol and entertainment licences

Coronavirus iconThe licensing team are longer meeting with customers. All communication needs to be done by telephone or email. All licensing applications that are unable to be completed online must be submitted electronically to For more details visit: COVID-19 Licensing update

COVID-19 information for licensed premises - GOV.UK - Carrying out mandatory COVID-19 status checks at your venue or event.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, local authorities became responsible for the licensing of alcohol and certain types of entertainment. We ensure that all licensable activities are carried out responsibly and according to the four key licensing objectives which are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

You can view our statement of policy from the links below:

Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to provide types of entertainment may require a licence or other authorisation from

The types of businesses and organisations that need a licence for entertainment might include:

  • nightclubs
  • live music venues
  • cinemas
  • larger theatres
  • larger street and open air festivals
  • larger indoor sporting arena

In particular a licence may be required by anyone that:

  • provides any entertainment between 11pm and 8am
  • provides amplified live or recorded music to an audience of more than 500 people
  • provides recorded music to an audience on premises not licensed for the sale or supply of alcohol
  • puts on a performance of a play or a dance to an audience of more than 500 people, or an indoor sporting event to more than 1,000 spectators
  • puts on boxing or wrestling
  • screens a film to an audience

Information on whether you need approval to put on certain types of regulated entertainment can be found on GOV.UK - Entertainment licensing