Personal licence

You will need a personal licence if you are a designated premises supervisor (DPS) of a licensed premises. The personal licence allows the DPS to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol.

The only exception to this is a community premises which has successfully applied to have this requirement waived. You do not need a personal licence if you are simply employed in a pub or other premises that sells alcohol.

In order to obtain a personal licence, you will need to hold a licensing qualification. For more details of this, visit: GOV.UK - Alcohol licensing: personal licences


A personal licence is £37.

Applying for a personal licence

You will need to apply for a licence from your licensing authority. The licensing authority is usually the council where you live. If you do not know who that is, you can find out by going to GOV.UK - Find your local council

To apply for a personal licence, you will need to complete the form on the GOV.UK website and send it to the relevant licensing authority.

Please also provide the current Disclosure of Convictions form as a supporting document when submitting your application.

How long is my licence valid for?

Indefinitely - they no longer expire.

Does tacit authorisation apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process the application before it is granted.