Home Assistance Grant
This is a discretionary grant for owner-occupiers only:
- to assist owner-occupiers to maintain their properties where a Category 1 hazard, in accordance with the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System is identified. To understand how the council assesses the suitability of housing conditions see the Essential Information for Landlords and Agents.
- the deficiencies within the property must be considered by the local authority to have a significant impact on the health, safety and wellbeing of the occupier and the repairs/improvements to be undertaken will enable the occupier to safely remain in the property.
Who can apply
You must own the property and live in it as your only or main residence.
Amount of grant
The maximum grant is £20,000. You could receive up to 100% of the cost of any works up to this limit.
- The grant costs will be registered as a Charge on HM Land Charges on completion of the works and payment of the grant. The property must therefore be registered on HM Land Registry.
- If the property is sold or transferred, the grant must be repaid in full.
- Two contractors estimates for the grant eligible works must be provided.
- Where central heating is provided or boilers are repaired or replaced it is a condition that loft insulation, to current Building Regulations Standard, and cavity wall insulation, if applicable, is installed.
How to apply
Use the Home Assistance Grant online enquiry form for more information and how to apply.