Alcohol and entertainment licences

Under the Licensing Act 2003, local authorities became responsible for the licensing of alcohol and certain types of entertainment. We ensure that all licensable activities are carried out responsibly and according to the four key licensing objectives which are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.

View our Statement of licensing policy

Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to provide types of entertainment may require a licence or other authorisation.

The types of businesses and organisations that need a licence for entertainment might include:

  • nightclubs
  • live music venues
  • cinemas
  • larger theatres
  • larger street and open air festivals
  • larger indoor sporting arena.

In particular a licence may be required by anyone that:

  • provides any entertainment between 11pm and 8am
  • provides amplified live or recorded music to an audience of more than 500 people
  • provides recorded music to an audience on premises not licensed for the sale or supply of alcohol
  • puts on a performance of a play or a dance to an audience of more than 500 people, or an indoor sporting event to more than 1,000 spectators
  • puts on boxing or wrestling
  • screens a film to an audience.

Information on whether you need approval to put on certain types of regulated entertainment can be found on GOV.UK - Entertainment licensing

How would you rate our website?
Page rating 1 star Page rating 2 star Page rating 3 star Page rating 4 star Page rating 5 star