Community governance review (CGR)
A Community Governance Review is a process whereby the council can make changes to governance arrangements for town and parish councils and parish areas. This is completed by asking the public and interested parties about the most suitable way of representing the local communities. This is to ensure that local governance arrangements within the West Suffolk area continue to be reflective of the identity and interest of local communities and that they are as efficient and effective as they can be.
Community Governance Reviews are undertaken in accordance with the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 and enable West Suffolk Council to review and put in place, or make changes to, parish governance systems and structures. A number of changes can be made when there is clear evidence to do so:
- It can make changes to parish areas - including: changes to boundaries between parishes, mergers of two or more parishes, creating a new parish out of part of one or more existing parishes
- It can make changes to electoral arrangements within parish areas - including: changes to the number of parish councillors, introducing or changing parish warding arrangements
- It can accommodate changing the name of a parish (though this can also be undertaken through a process under S75 of the Local Government Act 1972)
- It can accommodate the grouping together of parishes under a common parish council.
It is good practice to carry out a Community Governance Review every 10-15 years. However, as the principal authority, West Suffolk Council may schedule a review in response to a reasonable request from an individual, group or parish or following the receipt of a valid petition containing the sufficient number of signatures required to trigger a review. For more information about the review process please read the Government guidance or contact us by emailing CGR@westsuffolk.gov.uk
Read about the most recent CGRs:
- Community Governance Review West Suffolk District 2021-22
- Community Governance Review Forest Heath District 2017
- Community Governance Review St Edmundsbury Borough 2016
Other changes to community governance
- Mildenhall High - Change of Parish Name
At the request of the Mildenhall Town Council, West Suffolk Council exercised its power under Section 75 of the Local Government Act 1972 to change the name of the parish of Mildenhall to Mildenhall High. The order which implemented the change can be viewed here: Mildenhall High Town Council, Change of Name of Parish, Order 2023
To view the Mildenhall High Town Council, Change of Name of Parish, Order 2023 in person, contact email@example.com