Electrical, clinical and hazardous waste

What do I do with electrical waste?

These are any items which use electricity – including both mains and battery powered. Many electrical and electronic items contain small quantities of materials which are hazardous, and valuable materials such as precious metals. Electrical and electronic items must not be thrown away in the rubbish or recycling bins at home.

Reduce: Where possible, try to get your broken electrical items repaired.

Reuse: Offer electrical items in good condition and full working order through:

  • charity shops (find your nearest charity)
  • online reuse network/market
  • car boot/jumble sale
  • friends, neighbours or relatives (such as 're-gift' unwanted gifts next Christmas)
  • Mildenhall Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) takes small Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) for testing and re-use (run by Crack On charity)
  • Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) at Lowestoft, Leiston, Ipswich, Foxhall,  Felixstowe, Stowmarket, and Bury St Edmunds – the items are collected from the HWRC's, tested and then sold at The Benjamin Foundation Reuse Shop at Foxhall HWRC


Alternatively, for a fee we can collect and dispose of large electrical items such as fridges or washing machines as part of our bulky items service.

For more information on the best way to deal with waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) look at our recycling A-Z

What do I do with clinical waste?

Clinical waste is anything that poses a threat to others because there is a risk of infection. We provide a free clinical waste collection service for households in the area. If you need this service you will need to ask for approval by your healthcare professional. After you have approval, contact us to organise the service.

If you are using needles to self-inject in your home, please arrange with your GP for a sharps box to be issued to you. It is your doctor’s responsibility to arrange for this to be exchanged when it is full.

What do I do with hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste is anything that is harmful to health or the environment; this could include pesticides, animal poison, paint or asbestos. Household recycling centres will accept some types of hazardous waste, for details see: Suffolk – Hazardous waste

We can collect and dispose of some hazardous waste for a fee. If we cannot collect it, we will be able to offer advice about the best way to dispose of it. Call us to discuss your needs.


Asbestos should only be removed by a professional. Small amounts of lower risk asbestos which is found in sheeting, down pipes, ironing boards and water tanks can be collected. Contact us to organise this.

To dispose of bigger amounts you will need to use a contractor. You can check them against the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) register to ensure that they are registered: Health and Safety Executive - asbestos licence holders


Paint should be dried out before being disposed of. You can do this by mixing liquid paint with sawdust or soil, once the paint is dried you can put it in your black bin for collection. Dried out paint can also be taken to one of the 11 recycling centres in the area, liquid paint is not accepted. Or, contact us to arrange collection and disposal of liquid paint, there is a charge for this service.