Neighbourhood Planning in Newmarket
Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan
We formally 'made' (adopted) the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan on 25 February 2020.
The Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan 2018-2031 is a statutory development plan document for West Suffolk Council. The plan is a material consideration within the parish of Newmarket for planning application purposes.
- Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan 2018-2031 - made February 2020
- The final decision statement (incorporating Newmarket Neighbourhood Area)
- Local green space statement
- Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan Policies maps 20 February 2020
Neighbourhood Neighbourhood Plan referendum
A referendum relating to the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan was held on Thursday 30 January 2020: Neighbourhood Planning Referendum (Newmarket neighbourhood area) - results 30 January 2020
Further information can be found on the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan Information Statement.
Further general information on neighbourhood planning is available on our Neighbourhood Planning pages.
For queries regarding the referendum please contact email@example.com.
Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan post-examination - decision to proceed to referendum
Newmarket Town Council have amended the submission version of the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan in line with the examiner's report of 14 October 2019 (see below).
On 15 November 2019 we issued a decision statement that the amended Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan (referendum version) can proceed to a referendum on Thursday 30 January 2020.
Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan examination
The independent examiner issued his report on the Submission Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan on 14 October 2019. The report concludes that subject to a series of recommended modifications set out in the report the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan meets all the necessary legal requirements and should proceed to referendum.
West Suffolk as the local planning authority now has to consider each of the examiners recommendations and the reasons for them and decide if further modifications are needed, and that they are satisfied the plan as modified meets the basic conditions and issue a decision statement.
The council has appointed Andrew Ashcroft MRTPI to carry out the examination of the Submission Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan (Regulation 17 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012).
|Independent Examiner's clarification note - 15 August 2019||West Suffolk Council's response to query in clarification note - 28 August 2019|
|Information Note 1 from the Independent Examiner: Examination Arrangements - 12 August 2019|
Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan Submission consultation - now closed
Monday 17 June (9am) to Monday 29 July (5pm).
On 28 March 2019, we received the submission version of the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan and accompanying documents. The council has assessed the plan in accordance with the relevant legislation and have approved receipt.
We are keen to hear the views of people who live, work and carry out business in the area. Responses should focus on whether the plan proposal is appropriate to be used for the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan.
We have commenced a six week consultation following the submission by Newmarket Town Council.
- Submission document
- Consultation statement
- Strategic Environmental Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening
- Local green space statement
- Policy maps
- Basic conditions statement
What can be commented on?
Comments are invited regarding whether the 'plan proposal' fulfils the 'basic conditions' (Paragraph 8, Schedule 4B Town and Country Planning Act (as amended)).
The 'basic conditions'
Representations received under Regulation 16 regarding the plan proposal will be forwarded to an independent examiner, who will assess the Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan and supporting documents against 'basic conditions'. These require that the plan:
- has regard to national policy and guidance from the Secretary of State
- contributes to sustainable development
- is in general conformity with the strategic policy of the development plan for the area or any part of that area
- does not breach or is otherwise compatible with EU obligations - this includes the SEA Directive of 2001/42/EC
- the making of the Neighbourhood Plan is not likely to have significant effect on a European site (as defined in the Conservation of Habitats and Species regulations 2010 (d)), either alone or in combinations with other plans or projects.
How to comment on the proposes submission plan
You must submit your comments by 5pm on Monday 29 July 2019.
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- post to Strategic Planning, West Suffolk Council, West Suffolk House, Western Way, Bury St Edmunds IP33 3YU
Hard copies of the proposed submission document and accompanying documents can be viewed at:
- Newmarket Town Council, The King Edward VII Memorial Hall, High Street, Newmarket CB8 8JP
- West Suffolk Council, West Suffolk House, Western Way, Bury St Edmunds IP33 3YU
- West Suffolk Council, College Heath Road, Mildenhall IP28 7EY
What happens next?
We are working with Newmarket Town Council to appoint an independent examiner who will make recommendations and their report will be published online in due course.
Once the council has received this report, and reviewed whether modifications are required, it can decide that the plan is ready for a referendum.
(Further details can be found under the summary of the key stages in neighbourhood plan at steps 4-7.)
Strategic Environmental Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Opinion: Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan
The SEA and HRA screening opinion is now available to view.
Newmarket Neighbourhood Plan - pre-submission version
As part of the requirements of the Localism Act 2011 and Regulation 14 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2015 (as amended), Newmarket Town Council has undertaken a pre-submission consultation on the Newmarket draft Neighbourhood Plan.
Newmarket Neighbourhood Area designation
On 15 June 2018 the Portfolio Holder for Planning and Growth formally designated an amendment the Newmarket Neighbourhood Area following the receipt of Newmarket Town Council's consent. This amended designation was undertaken in conjunction with an application to designate a Neighbourhood Area for the parish of Exning. This supersedes the Newmarket Area Designation made 23 December 2015.
On 23 December 2015 the Portfolio Holder for Planning and Growth formally designated the original and superseded Newmarket Neighbourhood Area.
The original and superseded area designation statement, map and responses to the consultation can be found below:
- Newmarket neighbourhood area designation statement
- Map of Newmarket neighbourhood area (superseded)
- Responses to the neighbourhood area consultation (and Environment Agency guidance and map)
Newmarket Neighbourhood Area consultation
Between 5 November 2015 and 3 December 2015, we carried out a consultation. This followed an application by Newmarket Town Council to identify an area they feel should be covered by a future neighbourhood plan.
The area proposed by Newmarket Town Council, for neighbourhood planning purposes, is the whole of the town area with the only exception being the removal of Exning Cemetery off Exning Road.
As part of the application process, Newmarket Town Council has produced a map of the proposed neighbourhood area and a supporting statement reasoning why they have chosen the area to be covered. These documents can be viewed below: